Kentucky Motorcycle Accident Attorney
Have you been injured in a motorcycle accident?
There’s nothing like riding a motorcycle, but the dangers that come with riding one are also unmatched. If you were seriously injured while on a motorcycle, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries and economic losses. The Fleck Firm can help you and your family decide if legal action is right for you.
There were 1,494 motorcycle accidents in Kentucky in 2018, with 86 of them causing fatalities, according to the Kentucky State Police. In the state that year a motorcycle accident was about 15 times more likely to result in a death than one involving a car, according to their statistics.
What causes motorcycle accidents?
More than 80% of reported motorcycle crashes cause injury or death to the motorcyclist, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). The agency states that:
- Most motorcycle-vehicle collisions occur at intersections
- Motorists turning into the paths of motorcycles cause about a third of motorcycle crashes
- 37% of accidents involved motorists claiming they didn’t see the motorcycle, though it was in clear view
- Motorcyclists were fully or partially at fault in less than 20% of accidents
What is the law?
Most lawsuits and insurance claims involve a party committing negligence. To be successful, the plaintiff (you, the injured party) needs to show the defendant (the party being sued):
- Owed you a legal duty (to drive reasonably in a reasonably safe vehicle)
- Breached or violated that duty (the defendant was distracted, ran a stop sign or was too fatigued to drive safely)
You also need to establish the breach was the factual and legal (or proximate) cause of the crash and your injuries as well as proving the defendant, under Kentucky law, must provide you with compensation.
What are the damages that could be recovered?
There are many types of losses and harm that could be the basis of compensation in a motorcycle accident case, including:
- Medical bills
- Legal fees and income lost
- Past, present and projected future lost income
- Property loss
- Emotional distress, including fear and anxiety
- Past, present and expected future pain and suffering
What should I do next?
Seek medical attention and treatment as soon as possible after the accident then contact The Fleck Firm. Facts are the basis for insurance claims and lawsuits. The faster you retain our services, the earlier our investigation can start, the easier it will be to obtain evidence, the stronger your case may be.
Nearly all of these claims involve insurance companies, who provide their insured with a legal defense and will pay a settlement or a jury award up to the limit of the policy. If we can’t settle your claims with the insurer, we will file a lawsuit. Most motorcycle accident cases settle before a full trial takes place.
Call The Fleck Firm for a free consultation at (270) 446-7000. We’ll talk about the accident, your injuries, the law, and your best options to proceed. Insurance companies have lawyers. You should have one too.