Elizabethtown Truck Accident Lawyer
Have you been injured in an accident involving a truck in Elizabethtown, KY?
Commercial trucks are critical to our economy but when one is involved in an accident, the results can be devastating. A semi-truck combination could weigh up to 80,000 pounds. If it strikes other vehicles at highway speed, it could easily cripple or kill those in its path. If you or a family member have been injured or killed in a commercial truck accident, The Fleck Firm can help.
What causes commercial truck accidents?
Truck driver error is by far the leading cause of commercial truck accidents, according to a Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration study. The agency states driver error is the “critical reason” for 87% of these accidents. The other reasons are the truck itself (10%) and driving conditions (3%).
The agency states the most common “critical events” leading up to accidents are:
- Leaving the travel lane into another lane or off the road (32%)
- Loss of vehicle control due to traveling too fast for conditions, a cargo shift, vehicle systems failure, poor road conditions, or other reasons (29%)
- Rear ending another vehicle (22%)
The top factors leading to commercial truck accidents include:
- Brake problems
- Prescription and over-the-counter drug use
- Traveling too fast for conditions
- Unfamiliarity with the roadway
- Inadequate surveillance of the roadway
Why should I contact a truck accident lawyer after being injured in a truck accident?
After getting medical treatment for your injuries, you should contact our office. Any type of vehicle accident involving serious injuries can be complicated, but that’s especially the case when a commercial truck is involved. There may be several parties who may be legally obligated to compensate you for your injuries and losses:
- The driver, who may be an independent contractor or employed by a trucking company
- The trucking company, who may own the truck and employ the driver
- The shipper, if the cargo wasn’t properly loaded or secured and it shifted or fell off the truck
- A truck repair service, if it was hired to repair or service the truck or trailer, and it acted negligently
- If a part of the truck or trailer failed, causing the accident, its manufacturer and all those involved in its sale and distribution
- Other drivers who may have been partially at fault in the accident
Each of these parties should have insurance (which would pay for their legal defense, liability claim, and jury verdict) and attorneys representing their interests.
Given the size of these vehicles, there’s a good chance that an accident involving one resulted in a severe injury or death. If you add that to the insurance and legal complexity, this is not the kind of case you want to try to handle yourself. Negotiating a settlement on your own could result in compensation for far less than what your case is worth.
What’s the next step if I have been injured in a truck accident and need a lawyer?
Call The Fleck Firm for a free consultation at (270) 446-7000. Our law firm is experienced with truck accidents and is able to help you through the entire process from the first phone call. We offer free initial consultations so that you can be fully informed about your situation. If you or a loved one has recently been injured in a truck accident due to another’s negligence, you should reach out to our law office in Elizabethtown today.
We’ll talk about the accident, your injuries, the law, and your best options to proceed. Insurance companies have lawyers. You should have one too.