There could be many issues at play when you’re injured in a commercial truck accident. If you represent yourself, you may not be aware of them and allow an insurance company to take advantage of your ignorance. Accidents involving passenger vehicles generally present fewer factual and legal issues that must be resolved before you can be fully compensated for your injuries.
Commercial trucks range from delivery vans to 80,000 pound semi-trucks. If you’re injured in an accident with one, you need to know your legal rights and what must be done to protect them. If you or a family member are injured or killed in a commercial truck accident, The Fleck Firm can help. Call them at (270) 446 7000.
Contact an Attorney If You Are In a Commercial Truck Accident
We can provide you with critical help that can mean the difference between a quick settlement and getting all the compensation you deserve. The Fleck Firm can lay the foundation for a fair recovery in many ways. We will investigate the accident. We will find out what happened, why, and who’s to blame. These facts are the basis for any legal claims you have against responsible parties:
- A trucking company may not employ the driver. They may be an independent contractor. Depending on the circumstances, you may be able to make claims against the driver, the trucking company, and others involved with the truck and what happened
- The trucking company may own the truck and employ the driver. If that’s the case, the driver probably can’t be sued if they’re acting within the scope of their job
- The shipper may bear some responsibility if the cargo wasn’t properly loaded, it shifted, fell off the truck, or impacted how the truck handled before the crash. This is another party that may be liable and contribute to your settlement
- If the truck wasn’t properly maintained or repaired, the company owning the truck could be liable. If that work wasn’t done in-house and an outside company did the work and acted negligently, they too could be defendants
- If a part of the truck or trailer failed, caused the crash, and was defective in some way, its manufacturer and all those involved in its sale and distribution could be subject to a lawsuit
- Other drivers may have acted negligently and played a role in causing the accident. The truck driver may have tried to stop suddenly because a car cut it off, improperly loaded cargo may have shifted causing the truck to jackknife and strike your vehicle
- All these different parties have their own insurance policies and will be represented by their own attorneys. They may blame each other, making the case that much more complicated
- Given the size of some commercial vehicles and the damage they can do to passenger vehicles, you or a family member may have been seriously injured or killed. The greater the harm in an accident more is at stake, and you have more to lose if the case isn’t handled properly
Get the Legal Help You Need from an Attorney You Can Trust
Commercial truck accidents can be complex. In one of these cases, trying to represent yourself can be a huge mistake that could impact you and your family for years. If you have questions about truck accidents or want legal representation to help you with an injury caused by another, contact The Fleck Firm for a free consultation at (270) 446-7000. We’ll talk about the accident, the law, and your best options to proceed. Insurance companies have lawyers. You should have one too.